Pork Belly with crispy crackling
Whole Pork Belly
- Preheat your oven to 130 degrees celsius conventional bake.
- Place the pork belly skin-side up and pat the skin until dry using paper towels. Grab a knife and slice lines right across the belly about 1cm apart to score the skin (this will help the crackling to absorb the oil and ‘puff’ up later)
- Place the belly skin side up on a rack sitting on a roasting dish.
- Drizzle and rub a good amount of olive oil all over the whole pork belly so that it is completely coated.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the skin of the pork.
- Place the pork skin side up in the middle of the oven skin side up and cook for 4 hours
- After 4 hours, increase the temperature to 150c and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- After another 30 minutes, change your oven to ‘grill’ setting on medium-high heat and move the pork belly to the top of the oven and grill the skin until it goes puffy and golden all over (this may take less than 1 minute so keep an eye on it and don’t let it burn!)
- Remove from the oven and cut into pieces to serve.
Serve with a salad, coleslaw or mashed potatoes